DIY: Another Striped Pencil Skirt

    |
Striped pencil skirt day and night {who is that girl mo?}
I decided to make yet another pencil skirt but with vertical stripes this time. I used a black and white stretch fabric with wide stripes. This is the 4th pencil skirt that I have made and I love how versatile it is so here's a day to night look on how I'd style this skirt.
Supplies:
fabric
elastic
measuring tape
chalk/marking pen
scissors
pins
sewing machine
  • Measure the smallest part of your waist. Divide by 2 and this will be your waist measurement.
  • Measure the length that you want for the skirt beginning at the smallest part of your waist.
  • Fold the fabric in half lengthwise.
  • Mark the waist and length measurements on the fabric with the chalk. I marked 14 in and 30 in respectively.
  • Use a ruler to draw straight lines and cut along lines. You should have the exact fitting of your skirt.
  • With the right sides of fabric facing each other, stitch a seam down the long side of the fabric. This will be the back of the skirt.
  • Place the elastic around your waist and pull snugly. Mark and cut. My elastic was about 24 inches.
  • Stitch the raw edges of the elastic together creating your waistband.
  • Pin the elastic around the top edge of the skirt. Make sure it is on the right side of the fabric.
  • Stitch the elastic onto the skirt edge using a Serger or zigzag stitch.
  • Fold the elastic towards the wrong side twice. Tack the elastic into place or stitch around the bottom edge of the elastic.
  • Hem the bottom of the skirt 1 - 1 1/2 inches.

Striped pencil skirt tutorial pics {who is that girl mo?}

Striped pencil skirt close up pic {who is that girl mo?}

Striped pencil skirt pose1 {who is that girl mo?}

Striped pencil skirt pose2 {who is that girl mo?}

Striped pencil skirt pose3 {who is that girl mo?}

Striped pencil skirt pose4 {who is that girl mo?}

Outfit Details:
top Old Navy | denim jacket Gap | faux leather jacket Forever21 | sneakers Converse 
 boots Dolce Vita | day bag Steve Madden | night bag H&M | necklace Forever21


Linking up with:  MONDAY BLOOM | FUNDAY MONDAY | MONDAY MINGLE | WHITNEY NIC JAMES 
 MIX IT MONDAYS | DO TELL TUESDAYS | THE STYLE RECORD | MORE PIECES OF ME | ON THE DAILY EXPRESS | Trend Spin

38 comments

  1. I'm really digging this look. The background is gorgeous.

    xoxo
    Ivy
    Fashion: http://www.purrpleivy.com/
    Health and Fitness: http://purrple-ivy-fitness.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love how it turned out, and both outfits are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you styled the skirt for both day and night! I think this skirt will become a wardrobe staple!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Jewelry Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks and we shall see! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute...I like both looks! They both remind me of rock star looks 😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, now this is a style I can definitely pull off!! I have the pencil skirts already and the jean jacket! This is a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute skirt...love it with the ankle boots!

    Annie

    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks and I can't wait to see your look. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute skirt, another winner! Love it with the sneakers!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Robin! I prefer that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the vertical striped pencil skirt with the black faux leather jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful skirt. I love how you can dress it up or down. Thanks for the tutorial and for linking up with Funday Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the length of this skirt! Both looks are fabulous =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, you put my sewing skills to shame, that's for sure! Great DIY skirt, and I love bot of your styling options for it! Thanks for linking up with Manic Monday. :) -Gina

    On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
  15. That skirt is insane! Oh my gosh I frigging love it!


    www.theadoredlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. LoveeEE!!! Can't pick which one I like the best because both looks are GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love love the skirt !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really perfect!!! Love how you dressed it down then up! Amazing! So glad you linked up with us! morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks a lot Adrienne! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love stripes and u did justice on this skirt. I love both looks, but gotta say you look hot in the 2nd look with the clutch, necklace, etc. etc.


    missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. great skirt!

    very nice blog by the way :)

    kisses from Russia,
    Juliet
    www.julietpolilova.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very cool! Love how you show it dressed down & dressed up! You're so talented!

    -Chelsey

    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. it looks good. love the versatility of it. looks great both ways!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this! Both versions are GREAT - my fave is the look with the moto jacket. Werk!


    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this skirt!! You are super talented!!!


    www.iwouldsorockthis.com

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments!

Mo